Retailers often forget about their in store technology until something goes wrong. By which time, getting it fixed is a serious concern. Here are a few tips to ensure your IT equipment is as free from risks as possible.
As a retail support organisation, we completely understand that a retailer has a great deal to think about on a daily basis to ensure that their business is running smoothly.
Customers, staff, stock and supplies are some of the most important things that retailers bear in mind while their business is open to customers. But what about the aspects that are not so obvious, such as the in store technology?
We all know that in-store technology is precious to retail businesses. EPoS (Electronic Point of Sale) systems are responsible not only for transacting sales but also vital for critical business information.
Unfortunately, like all technology, EPoS will at some point need to be fixed or replaced. Failing to plan and prepare for EPoS issues can result in downtime. Downtime for any length can lead to incalculable costs in terms of both missed sales and in reputation.
Here are a few handy tips for you to ensure your in store technology is efficient minimising the risks of failure therefore maximising sales, productivity and reputation.
- Beware of pin pad cords – you’ve been there, you’ve seen it. The PIN pad is handed to you, only for the cord to get tangled, spring back and smash against the till. Keep those cords tidy!
- Monitor backlights – it’s not just your PCs that need looking after, if the monitor goes down, the till goes down and you lose sales opportunities.
- Cable management – many in-store items aren’t hard wired so best check where those wires are hanging to avoid potential mishaps.
- Spillages – keep tea runs to a minimum and employ exclusion zones around your tills and other vital back office equipment. Is a cuppa really as important as lost sales?
- Let your PCs breathe! – computers are not furniture and don’t like A4 reams of paper blocking their fans. Treat them like a vintage Chippendale and give them space.
For more information about SCT’s range of onsite support services please contact Jim on email@example.com or +353 1 5241389 – Option 2